4 Min Read
Recovery with Respite Care
As seniors age, they may experience more injuries, medical procedures, or health issues that require time in the hospital. Many are often eager to leave the hospital before they can live independently at home. But as a caregiver or loved one, you may not have the time or skills to care for your loved one as they recover. That’s where recovery with respite care comes in.
What is Respite Care?
Respite care is short-term or temporary care provided to adults (most often seniors) who need support with daily living activities or recovery from an injury, medical procedure, or health issue. Respite care is often a great resource when a full-time caregiver is unavailable or needs a break. Respite care can occur in your home, adult day-care centers, or skilled nursing facilities (for extended stays).
Benefits of Respite Care
Caring for a senior loved one full-time is a lot of work. You may feel like you don’t have time for yourself and experience caregiver burnout—a state of physical, mental, and emotional exhaustion related to caring for a loved one. When you choose recovery with respite care, there are many benefits—both for you and your loved one.
- Stress and pressure relief.
- Time to rest, relax, and recharge.
- Professional support from an experienced medical team.
- Reduced tension between you and your loved one.
- 24-hour nursing support customized to their specific needs.
- Ability to socialize with other seniors and meet new people.
- A fun change of scenery.
- The ability to experience our Senior Living facility and all its amenities.
Respite Care at Grand Oaks
Our respite care suites offer the comforts of home, the amenities of a top hotel, and the expert support of a medical center—all in our upscale community on the Sibley Memorial Hospital campus in the heart of Washington, D.C.
Grand Oaks respite care is a 60-day stay in our luxury senior living complex that aids in seniors’ rehabilitation, providing them with a peaceful setting for their recovery. We also offer short-term post-surgery stays if they don’t need the full length of a typical respite stay.
During their stay with us, your loved one will receive:
- Access to a bright, spacious, private apartment for the duration of their stay.
- Customized 24-hour nursing support.
- Access to the on-site Johns Hopkins Wellness Program.
- Assistance, as needed, with daily activities such as housekeeping, bathing, dressing, laundry, and transportation.
- Fresh, nutritious gourmet meals prepared by our executive chef.
- Safety features in each room in the event they need immediate help.
- Access to all of Grand Oaks’ amenities, including a full-service beauty salon, business center, chapel, and warm-water pool at Sibley Memorial Hospital.
- A wide variety of activities including walks and exercise classes, lectures, book clubs, concert or theater outings, and more.
We designed our respite care program with your loved one’s peace, relaxation, and overall wellness in mind. If your loved one has an upcoming medical procedure or event, talk to our team about recovery with respite care. We can accommodate your loved one with as little as one week’s notice.