4 Min Read
Food Delivery Services for Seniors
Having a well-rounded and nutritious diet is one of the key parts of aging well. But grocery shopping or dining out alone becomes harder as you age, as 1 in 5 Americans older than 65 do not drive. If you live in a suburban or rural area, public transportation may be hard to come by.
Fortunately, many resources that make it easier to get food delivered to your door have burst on the scene in recent years, especially amidst the COVID-19 pandemic. When you’re not eating freshly prepared restaurant-style meals from our executive chef, try out some of these food delivery services for seniors.
Grocery delivery is an easy way to get your favorite familiar foods with ease. Most grocery stores offer online ordering, so you can shop from the comfort of your home. For those with limited mobility, this service can be extremely helpful. Some popular grocery delivery services are:
- Walmart+ InHome: There are more than 3,000 Walmart stores that participate in the InHome grocery delivery service. You can get unlimited same-day deliveries for $19.95/month with no additional delivery fees or tips required. Get your groceries placed at your door, put in your garage, and even put away in your kitchen.
- Instacart: Instacart works with over 40,000 stores, from small grocers to large chains. Their order minimum is only $10, so you don’t have to buy a month’s worth of groceries at a time to justify the cost. The delivery fee starts at $4/order for non-members, but they also offer a membership for $10/month which gives you free delivery on all orders over $35.
- Shipt: This grocery delivery service is available in more than 5,000 cities and lets you shop at hundreds of stores, with delivery to your door in as little as one hour. There’s no order minimum required, and Shipt members pay $4/month for their first year with unlimited delivery on orders over $35. A zero-commitment, one-time delivery will cost you $10.
- Amazon Fresh: If you’re an Amazon Prime member, Amazon Fresh is a great service to take advantage of. You get access to tons of fresh foods, produce, and more. The delivery fee is $10 for orders under $35 and free for orders over $35. An Amazon Prime membership is $14.99/month.
Many seniors find it difficult to prepare healthy, nutrient-dense meals themselves. Some may choose unhealthy frozen or microwavable meals for the sake of convenience. But too many processed foods can cause weight gain, high cholesterol, and other health issues for seniors. Instead, try some of these meal delivery services:
- Magic Kitchen: Magic Kitchen offers a wide variety of meals that cater to seniors, including diabetes-friendly, low-sodium, gluten-free, and dialysis-friendly options. You can mix and match mains, sides, soups, and desserts, or choose a complete meal, which are all ready to eat once heated. You can choose as many or as few meals as you want—meals start at $10/serving.
- RealEats: Get farm-fresh, delicious, chef-crafted meals that are always ready in six minutes or less with RealEats. You can choose anywhere from four to 12 meals per week, with the option to skip, pause, or cancel at any time. Categories like calorie-smart, high-protein, soy-free, and dairy-free are available. Plus, meals are customizable, allowing you to swap proteins and sides. Meals start at around $13/serving.
- Mom’s Meals: These meals are designed to meet special nutritional requirements and are prepared by dietitians using high-quality ingredients. Senior-friendly options include heart-healthy, low-sodium, diabetes-friendly, cancer support, renal-friendly, gluten-free, and pureed meals. You can choose 10, 14, or 21 meals per week, with meals starting at $7.99/serving.
As always, consult your doctor before starting a new diet.