8 Min Read
What to Consider When Choosing a Senior Living Community
After retirement, one of the most important decisions to make is where to live. When searching for senior living options for you or a loved one, there are many variables, and finding the right care can be overwhelming or confusing. You’ll want to ensure that they’re properly cared for and that their health and safety are prioritized. More than anything, you want you or your loved one to be happy and healthy. Here are some things to consider when choosing a senior living community:
What do you or your loved one need in terms of daily life? Not all senior living communities offer the same level of care or assistance.
- Independent living: This is best for seniors who don’t typically need any daily assistance and are interested in the amenities senior living communities offer, such as freshly made meals, activities, groundskeeping, and more.
- Assisted living: This is for seniors who need personalized care plans. Grand Oaks offers 24-hour nursing support with hands-on assistance with daily activities like housekeeping, laundry, bathing, and dressing. Being located on the campus of Sibley Memorial Hospital means that direct access to high-quality healthcare is available without ever having to step foot outside.
- Memory care: This is specifically for those who live with Alzheimer’s disease or other memory-related disorders. Caregivers, nurses, and other staff are trained to provide attentive support. In the Oasis Neighborhood at Grand Oaks, we provide a full staff of nurses available 24 hours a day, medication monitoring, management, and administration, monitoring of behavior, mood, routine, and cognitive abilities, hands-on assistance with daily activities, prompt and gentle reminders of your loved one’s daily schedule, and more.
The location of the senior living community you choose is important. Is it close enough for family and other loved ones to visit regularly? Is it in a good neighborhood? Are there things to do in the surrounding areas? Is it close to a hospital?
At Grand Oaks, we can answer all these questions and more. Located in the heart of D.C., Grand Oaks is a tasteful, Georgian-style residence community close to a wide range of excursions for you or your loved one to enjoy. You can easily schedule a visit to see your loved one any day of the week. Owned by Johns Hopkins Medicine and located on the campus of Sibley Memorial Hospital, Grand Oaks provides the best medical care if and when you or your loved one need it.
- Safety features such as shower bars and emergency alert systems
- Cooking/kitchen equipment
- Security monitoring
- Carpeting vs. wood or tile floors
- Natural light
- Furnished vs. unfurnished
Your or your loved one’s apartment will feel like home at Grand Oaks. One- and two-bedroom options are available, and all are spacious, light-filled, and stylish. A few features include 9-foot ceilings, bay windows, safety-centered design, 24/7 safety monitoring, a kitchenette, and more.
Everything about a senior living community could look great on paper and in pictures, but you and your loved one need to visit in person to truly experience the environment and ambiance for yourselves. This is where you can get a glimpse into the lives of residents.
While touring, ask yourself these questions:
- Do the residents seem happy?
- Is there a lot of social activity?
- How does the staff interact with residents?
- Are the common spaces well populated?
- Do the apartments seem homey?
- Is the overall environment welcoming?
While you silently gather that information, ask the staff these questions:
- What level of personal and healthcare services are offered?
- What privileges do residents have?
- What types of activities are offered?
- What is the most popular weekly activity?
- What happens if a resident is hospitalized?
- What are the food and nutrition options?
We’re here to answer any questions you may have. Come see how Grand Oaks is senior living the way it should be—schedule a tour today.